Thursday, February 24, 2011

Straight Out Scribes United Again Book Tour

Staajabu Dapoet
Staajabu is a writer, poet, artist and producer. She and daughter V.S. Chochezi have co-written and self-published 6 books of poetry and produced 2 spoken word CDs.  She is a recent transplant from Sacramento, CA, who now lives in Sicklerville, NJ.

What I’ve been up to lately:
I recently submitted a sci-fi short story “Caldonia’s Daughters” for Sacramento’s ZICA Creative Arts and Literary Guild’s 2011 anthology edited by Ron Barnes.
Straight Out Scribes, that’s daughter V.S. Chochezi and I, will publish a book of all new poetry February 2013. We’re setting up the timeline now. Last couple of years I’ve been painting rocks using acrylic paints and finding rocks while walking the beautiful Sicklerville area parks and roads. Painted all kinds of designs on them; butterflies, flowers, drums, palm trees, sunsets, rivers, African continents, ankhs, Kinaras. I gave them to people who I visited and at different gatherings while traveling. They all had the word Peace painted on them somewhere so I called them “Peace Rocks”. I’ve given away over 100 of them.

I correspond with five political prisoners: Phil Africa, Mondo weLanga, Lynne Stewart, Gabriel Pittman and Mumia Abu-Jamal. I send them articles and information and when possible a money order.
My New Jersey family is gigantic. I have hundreds of cousins here. We gather often, share food, news, stories, photos and just enjoy each other’s company. I work part time at a geriatric hospital as a volunteer and reading is still my favorite past-time. Am currently reading “The Life of Pi”. Amazing!
Will be traveling by Amtrak to Kansas City Missouri, Los Angeles, Sacramento and San Leandro in October 2011. The Scribes will be united again and plan to perform some of their newest material at a few of Sacramento’s many poetry venues.

Happy Black History Month, Women’s History Month and National Poetry Month everybody!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful comments,“Water your dreams, feed your imagination, let hope blossom”